Monday, April 09, 2007

On Contra-Causal Freedom to Accept of Reject Grace

I received a very thought-provoking response which asked me to rethink my "Fundamental Seven" (http://www.wordalone.org/docs/wa-fundamentals.shtml) saying that "The Holy Spirit works monergistically, not synergistically, upon sinners effecting saving grace." The response said that I had perhaps been not as precisely confessional as I should have been because my description of this tends to deemphasize the role of human acceptance and denial of grace, something that Lutherans have traditionally understood as important. I am quoting my reply to this response below because I think it gets at a very important issue:

"The material question you ask is a very important one. Know that I readily affirm that human beings cooperate with grace. This is done, of course, out of their own phenomenological freedom. The question is, of course, whether human beings have any contra-causal agency with respect to the divine. That is to say, do human beings qua human beings have an intrinsic causal power to accept grace were it not for the agency of the divine already at work in that acceptance? The test for ascertaining contra-causal agency is this: X is contra-causally efficacious in producing Y if and only if in an exactly similar causal situation where X had not occurred, then Y would not have occurred either. Thus, human free-will is causally efficacious in the reception of grace if and only if, in an exactly similar causal situation, were human free-will not to have been present in receiving grace, grace would not have been received. When I speak of ‘an exactly similar causal situation’ I mean that the descriptions of the two situations are exactly the same (including the same state of divine grace, and the same state of all causal features external to the putative human free-will). [I shall leave open for now the question whether or not the human act of free-will is realized by underlying neurophysiological causal forces sufficient for producing the allegedly free act.] I think we agree on these matters, so, as you say, it is a question of a possible misunderstanding of the fundamental to mean that salvation is wholly external and finally magical. Luther always rejected ex opere operatum accounts of grace, and would surely reject Fundamental Seven if he thought it would me misunderstood as compatible with such an account."

In my opinion, Lutherans have not been as courageously clear as they should be about the causal situation with respect to salvation. While Luther follows Augustine on operant grace, does he follow him on cooperant grace? Is there some power in human beings to either accept or reject the grace available to human beings in Christ?

A close reading of Luther and the Confessions convinces me that there is no efficacious causal power in the human such that divine grace can be accepted. While we might say that the human will is causally relevant in accepting grace, we must deny that it is causally efficacious in accepting grace. One could say that human free-will would not accept grace unless the human being is regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This would be to say, 'If the Holy Spirit had not been regenerated by the Holy Spirit, the human free-will would not accept grace'. This is also to say, 'If the free-will accepts grace, the human being has been regenerated by the Holy Spirit'. Accordingly, one might claim that because the free-will accepting grace is sufficient for the human being being regenerate by the Holy Spirit, the free-will accepting grace is causally relevant for the mediation of such grace. But while 'causal relevance' is grounded in conceptual linkages, 'causal efficacy' depends upon the actual causal situation. While much more work needs to be done to clarify above the notion of 'causal situation', I think we are on the right track to use that concept in understanding divine causal efficacy.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog. Kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis--

    Isn't "divine causal efficacy" what we would call ELECTION?

    It seems to me that those who want to leave a place for the human free will in the act of salvation are the same ones who are looking for evidence of salvation. My take on election is that one instant you're blind and the next you see and the (involuntary) cry you make is "My God, it's true! I really am saved!" The work of grace is not to empower our wills in such a way that we can say "Yes," but to open our eyes to (give us a revelation of) the reality of our salvation. That's why I say grace is not an empowerment of our wills, but is an act of God to put the sinner (whose will is bound to sin) to death and raise up the saint (whose will is bound to God).

    So what about evidence of salvation? Can't get it by exhorting sinners to better behavior. One can only preach in such a way that the election is accomplished--that faith is established by the working of the Holy Spirit (to kill and make alive) regardless of the will of the sinner.

    Certainly there are those who won't be saved, but I don't know who they are and neither does anyone else. That's the unanswered question of election: why are some saved and others not? What I do know is that I have to have the particularity of the proclamation "for me" hammered into me again and again. God may have "elected" me once but my experience of it is frequently repeated.

    So, if there is any question about someone's election, it behooves the questioner to get that someone to a preacher.

    To close with a Two Kingdoms illustration: Theologians of glory try to run the kingdom of the world by revelation (that is by divine fiat) and to reason (that is by the logic of cooperation or obedience) their way into the kingdom of God. Theologians of the cross use reason in its rightful place (for this worldly kingdom) and enjoy the revelation of their rightful place (the Kingdom of God).

    tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,

    I am sorry I have not updated this for such a long time.

    What you say makes very good sense. I do not disagree.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    I am sorry I have not updated this for such a long time.

    What you say makes very good sense. I do not disagree.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete