Monday, August 16, 2010

Luther: Justification and/or Deification?

In 1988 I attended my first Luther Congress. We met in Oslo, Norway. While there I met a young Finn named Risto Saarinen who gave me a copy of the book Thesarus Lutheri. Later I was given a copy of Luther und Theosis and I began to read.

In the early 1990s, I became quite interested in whether or not Luther was a theologian of theosis (or deification). I remember standing up at the Lutheran gathering at the American Academy of Religion one year, and talking about the new Finnish research. It was new and exciting research in America. At the next Luther Congress in St. Paul in 1993, I was in Mannermaa's seminar. I found him to be an immensely likable man, someone who was willing to question his own research, someone who would genuinely dialogue. I got to know some of the other young scholars in Mannermaa's group. They were intensely interested in theological conversation.

When working through Simo Peura's Mehr als ein Mensch, my uneasiness with the way that the Finns were reading Luther grew. It seemed to me that so much of the thesis of deification depended upon a rather small group of passages, and these mostly from the early Luther. Moreover, as I read a bit more of Augustine (and those that know Augustine), it seemed to me that deification imagery was palpable in the Augustinian tradition. I concluded that in order to show that Luther was a theologian of deification, one would have thereby to establish that he was using the imagery of deification differently from how it was employed by theologians who have generally been thought to uphold justification, not deification, as their central salvific notion.

As I considered the historical question of Luther's adherence to deification, I quickly determined that I would need to know what deification is if I were to be able to determine whether Luther held to it. I looked at the question of what deification is both semantically and ontologically. Firstly, I wanted to know the identity conditions of 'deification' so that the term could be properly applied. Secondly, I wanted to know what state of affairs would make true the claim that deification was present.

My contribution to the Mannermaa Festschrift in 1997 considered the ontology of deification. What claim could we be making about the divine/human reltionship when asserting that person p is deified? While the essay was itself speculative and inconclusive, the exercise was useful to me, for I found how little textual evidence there was to adjudicate among senses of 'deification', and I discerned that some notions of justification were not entirely unlike some notions of deification. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like the boundary between 'justification' and 'deification' was becoming porous. What began as a seemingly firm distinction dissolved upon deeper reflection.

Beginning in two weeks, I will present a course entitled 'Luther: Justification and/or Deification'. The course will, as the title suggests, try to get clear on the claim that Luther is a theologian of theosis, by getting clear about what state of affairs would make true a statement about the deification of a person. Accordingly, we shall start in the course by understanding justification in the tradition generally, and the late medieval options on justification. After this we shall read some of what the Finns claim about deification. Looking specifically at the Luther texts, we shall try to answer this question: Was Luther, as Mannermaa has suggested, a theologian of theosis? Please visit the Institute of Lutheran Theology web page at www.ilt.org for details. The course is in the new ILT Masters of Theology program. This degree is designed for those wishing to study theology beyond the M. Div. level. All are welcome. Any takers?

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Bielfeldt- It sounds like an interesting course, I wish I could participate (no pun intended).

    I would agree that Luther holds to a doctrine of deification, as does the Lutheran tradition in general prior to early 18th century. Since I wrote my masters thesis at Luther Seminary on a comparison of Luther and John of Damascus on Christology/atonement, this is a special interest of mine. I would say though, that deification isn't the same as justification.

    1. First, I would specify that deification is the idea that we take on divine qualities as a accidental predicate of our being through unity with the divine substance. What is true of Christ according to the Lutheran doctrine of the genus majestaticum becomes in part true of human beings.

    2. The Finns make the mistake, I think, of misunderstanding Luther's language regarding being "baked into one cake" with Christ. They conflate the reception of justification via faith with justification itself. Being "baked in one cake" with Christ occurs prior to faith.

    3. My argument would be that there is a universal and objective justification in Luther that occurs in Christ prior to our reception of it. He is quite clear about it in AE 22:382-4. Also, I would a point to the descriptions of Luther of Christ exchanging our status as sinner with us on the cross in the 1531 Galatians commentary. There Luther says that Christ is the "only sinner" and the "greatest sinner." Obviously if as he claims "there is no sin in the whole world except for in Christ" Christ must be understood to be a single subject with us prior to our receiving him in faith.

    It is only subsequently through the preaching of the Word that we receive this new relationship with God that Christ has actualized. This event entails mystical union and therefore all the good stuff that Luther talks about with deification that the Finns are so fixated on.

    Justification is prior to faith and creates faith. Otherwise gospel statements ("your sins are forgiven for the sake of Jesus") become law statement ("if you believe and get mystically united with Christ, then you will become a single subject with Christ and your sins will be forgiven").

    4. My reading of the Finns is also that they're goal is simply to try to figure out a way that grace can be understood as a predicate our being that makes us right with God. This would help Lutherans ecumenically. Of course, I think this also is problematic because it assumes a doctrine of God that Luther does not have, namely that of Aquinas and Augustine wherein God is understood as a desiring subject, who needs us to be desirable. I make a longer argument about this here:

    http://jackkilcrease.blogspot.com/2010/05/desiring-and-promising-subject-aquinas.html

    I enjoy the blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jack, your comments are always insightful and well-conceived. I will read your blog post and try to get you a better response, but my first thought after reading what you wrote was simply to ask the old Socratic questions, "so what IS x?" What are, in your view, the necessary and sufficient conditions for the predicated "justified" properly to be applied? Alternately, what are the necessary and sufficient conditions for the predicate 'deified' to be applied? If, as you suggest, there are two distinct properties of deification and justification - - and not merely two descriptions of the same property - - is it the case that they have different extensions? That is, is it the case that the set of deified individuals (if there are such) and justified individuals are not coextensive?

    I look forward to reading your blog, Jack. The conceptual distinctions here are very important. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Denis for this blog,one literary reads a little and gets a full in site of it,well am very thirsting to know more about the Lutheran faith for its not wide spread in my Country Uganda,i would really love to learn about this wonderful faith because i believe in people of faith respecting as well as understanding one another
    that was a great blog tank you and God bless you
    Buyondo Micheal

    ReplyDelete